If your check engine light comes on, it can be a concerning experience. It may leave you wondering what is wrong with your vehicle and how to get it fixed. Fortunately, there are ways to address the issue and get back on the road in no time.
Here’s what you need to do when the check engine light comes on:
- Check your gas cap – if the light comes on, check your gas cap to make sure it is tightened properly. If it’s loose or missing, tighten or replace it and see if the light goes off after driving for a few miles.
- Read the code – many vehicles have an onboard diagnostic system that will read the check engine code. This will tell you what is causing the light to come on.
- Seek professional help – if the gas cap was not the issue, it’s best to seek out a qualified mechanic and have them diagnose the problem based on the code given by your car’s onboard diagnostic system.
- Make the necessary repairs – once you know what is causing the check engine light to come on, you can make any necessary repairs.
- Reset the light – after the repair is completed, most cars need to have their check engine lights manually reset. This can usually be done at a repair shop or with special tools available online.
By following these steps, you can get back on the road and enjoy your vehicle with confidence. If in doubt, be sure to seek professional help to ensure that the problem is properly diagnosed and repaired. That way, you can drive safely and worry-free for miles to come!